Monday, July 19, 2010

PSA: Condom Lube Alert!!!!!


I was reading through my blog reader, and an interesting post from Feminists with Female Sexual Disfunction. The author, K, wrote to both Durex (for some reason I can't find their non- latex, Avanti condoms on their website) and Lifestyles about the respective companies non latex condoms. Both companies replied that the lubricant used on both brands is silicone based.

I hate the fact that I'm allergic to latex. It narrows the selection of condoms I can use severely. There are no non latex equivalents to the Magnum the infamous larger condom. While I've generally been fine using regular non latex condoms (though not Trojan brand) with the larger guys I've been with, the fact that I can't buy any of those flavored or textured or whatever other kinds there are out there. All I really have is a choice of brands, and of polyurethane or polyisoprene. (Really, for me, there's no contest, polyisoprene is far superior and is what is used by pretty much every brand except Trojan.) However, with this new information, I'm annoyed all over again. There are not non lubricated, non latex condoms. However, the lubricant on these condoms is damaging to my strap on, and most of the toys I have that I share with my sex partners.

It seems like this just means that the makers of condoms disregard the needs of those who practice safe sex while using toys. Silicone is pretty much the premier material for sex toys. Almost every sex toy I own is silicone, and if I want to share them, I use condoms on them. Now I honestly don't know what I'm going to do. I know I can sanitize my toys, but I like the option of being able to use the toy on both myself and my partner in the same session. I honestly don't really know what I'm going to do. Probably use the condoms that I know are breaking down my toys, rather then not practice safe sex. I'm just pissed and frustrated that it's even a decision I have to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment