Saturday, November 21, 2009

Transgender Day of Rememberance

Yesterday (November 20th) was Transgender Day of Remembrance, to honor all those who have been killed for being gender variant in some way. All day I tried to write something about it. I really wanted to write an insightful, interesting, call to action blog. I wanted to inspire. But the fact is, I don't know what to say. I don't understand it.

I get not understanding gender variance is something I understand. I didn't really get it until I realized that I kind of am it, and started dating trans girls. However, the idea that it has been a motive for murder still baffles me. I read a statistic that I believe may in fact be years old at this point, but still relevant, that 1 in 12 transsexuals are murdered. I've since learned that mainly means trans women, and is especially valid for trans women of color.

1 in 12. Think about that. For the the average cis person, it's one in over a thousand, depending on race, location, and a number of other factors, but never does it ever get close to 1 in 12. This number haunted me through both my relationships with trans women. B worked in a conservative environment with almost all men. Every time I said good bye to her part of me clenched, only to release when she was in my arms again. She was safe with me, in my little bubbled world of queer and trans friendly people. I hated it every time she left my bubble, I would worry. Worry that something would happen, someone would decide that she was a threat, and no one would know to call me.

1 in 12. That's disgusting, it's not fair, it's not right and it should change, now. I wish I could leave you with some amazingly hopeful and inspiring words, but I have none. I only hope that you are as upset by this as I am and maybe when the tears end, change can begin.

1 in 12.

1 comment:

  1. I share your lack of understanding about how this could possibly be a motive for violence. There are a great many human behaviors I don't understand, but this one especially defies comprehension. Getting the information out there, doing our best to educate seems like such a small thing but in the end it's the only way we have to challenge the situation. People need to be confronted with their quiet apathy about all the various gender issues and held accountable for the role they play in allowing the violence to continue.

    ReplyDelete